Friday 2 October 2015

Furious 8 (buffalopocalypse)



The art I chose for the aboriginal Pintrest assignment is a piece called The Chase by Kent Monkman, it is done with acrylic paint on a 84" x 126" canvas. In the painting Monkman depicts a modern buffalo hunt with his first nation chasing the buffalo through the crowded streets on a motorcycle. The artist uses a variation of lines depending on what he is drawing, for example the buffalos are all drawn in different styles, some have a more geometric “surreal” look while others are done more realistically. If you look on the fence in the background you can also see what looks like an interpretation of a cave painting. The artist uses more defined lines on objects such as the motorcycle and the buildings while the clouds are done in a more “fluffy” light style.

The first thing I see looking at this piece is the motorcycle this is because excluding the sky Monkman uses mostly washed out darker colors which automatically draws my attention to the motorcycle. I like the sort of offset of focus used in this picture. Positioning the motorcycle to the right of the buffalo gives a feeling of motion, It makes you see the buffalo as being enclosed or corralled. I also like that the buildings are well done but colored in a way so that they do not draw too much attention away from the piece.

When I see this artwork I feel as though Monkman is trying to create a metaphor for how the first nations were treated something about a man using more advanced technology (motorcycle) to herd/hunt the buffalo out of a city really seems more like symbolic meaning to me. I believe this represents the first nations being forced somewhere they don't belong (plotted land, reserves) and then being forced to always leave for a smaller and less ideal place.

Overall The Chase’s visual style alone is enough to make it an attractive piece but I also believe that the many possibilities of meanings are what would make it appeal to most people I think it is a tremendously powerful piece of art and I enjoyed reviewing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment